Skip to main content

3. Time management

I had attended two workshops together with many other students at which a tremendous amount of valuable information was shared. One was titled "Workplace Readiness Skills Program" and the other "Exam preparation". Both workshops shared useful information on time management which I intend to share on this blog-post.
 
Workplace Readiness Skills workshop

Mr Thando Melane, an HR consultant and trainer, based most of the information I am about to share regarding time management on Stephen and Sean Covey's books. They are:

  • 7 Habits of Highly Effective People
  • 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teenagers
  • First Things First 
We spend our time in four different quadrants represented by a type of person:
  1. Procrastinator - one who leaves the urgent and important things until last minute
  2. Prioritizer - one who does the urgent and important things first
  3. Yes-man - one who says "yes" to everything and leaves the important things last 
  4. Slacker - one who spends too much time on things that are unimportant and not urgent
The best person to strive to be is a prioritizer. Mr Melane shared a weekly planner that we can use to see how to effectively use the time we have:  




Exam preparation workshop
Mr Graeme O'Reilly, a CA(SA), dug in deeper as to how we as students can utilise our time. This mostly applies to full-time students but part-time students may use this too.  

He says that we should consider the following:
  1. How much time is realistically available during the week
    • This refers to time available after lecture and tutorial periods; and after other priorities/commitments
    • We must add up all the hours available during the day, in the evenings and on weekends.
    • Here's an example:
P.S: In establishing these hours, one can decide that their day starts at 8:00am or 8:30am (or earlier) and ends at 21:00pm or 22:00pm (or later) depending on the individual.

2. How much time is needed:
    • To cover theory
    • To do questions (this may entail doing some practise questions before attempting homework and/or homework)
    • To revise previous work (this may be done to refresh our knowledge of the previous week's chapters and see if we still remember them)
    • Here's an example:


 P.S: the compilation of how to cover theory (pre-reading, post-reading, mind-map) is just an example. You can cover the theory in whichever way that suits you. 

The amount of time one chooses to spend on each of those components (i.e theory, questions, revising) depends on the individual - how long it takes to comprehend. It depends on the length and difficulty of the chapter. That may be established from pre-reading and/ or how much was understood in the lectures. After trying out this strategy, I discovered that the amount of time I need to spend in post-reading, doing questions and revising depends on how much knowledge and understanding I obtained from pre-reading and lectures. Getting the suitable number of hours for one is thus a process.

Mr Graeme had advised further that if the hours required exceed the amount of hours available, one may need to increase the hours available by starting one hour earlier for example. Another option is to decrease the number of hours required by reducing the number of hours spent in revising for example. 

After all that is completed, we can then complete our weekly planner as follows:
  1. Fill in the time slots that cannot be avoided, e.g lectures, tutorials and other priorities
  2. Fill in the other slots in which we would like to spend on theory, questions and revising. 
  3. The other slots that are free can be used for leisure time. There may be times when something comes up which may force us to re-shuffle our schedule.
Of course this requires self-discipline to stick to it. Time-management is also something that is perfected over time. I myself have re-shuffled my weekly schedule after reflecting on my previous weekly schedules; and discovering whether they were effective. The more I complete weekly schedules and the more I reflect on them, the more I find more effective ways to utilise my time and the lesser the need to make a weekly planner - it's a process.

I certainly hope that this is as helpful as I find it to be. Please feel free to share what works for you or if this works for you once you implement it. Any more tips or suggestions would be much appreciated, too. You can share on the comments section below.

You can also follow the blog on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Student-talk-blog-For-learners-and-students-496094020519505/

 
Thanks so much for your time and consideration. Till next time :).


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

7. Employability: a qualification alone might not be enough - part 1

When I entered university for the first time, graduate attributes were the last thing on my mind. I did not even know what a graduate attribute was. I entered university with the mentality of getting the degree, proceed further to obtain a higher qualification so that I could complete my training and get a permanent job. Apparently, that is not all that is required to be an employable graduate. I only heard about graduate attributes during my second year at university from Mr Rodrique E. George, my then lecturer of the ‘Intensive Reading and Writing’ module. Graduate attributes are the qualities, skills and knowledge that we as students must develop while at university. Some graduate attributes include: the ability to use knowledge to solve problems; the ability to use and apply information effectively; the ability to interact with people from different backgrounds and being able to understand their views, to name a few. There are characteristics and skills that stem from gra

24. Experience versus qualification

This is a topic I feel very strongly about, especially now that I have entered the working world and see the need for both experience and qualification. Qualification I believe that a qualification, be it a diploma or a degree, is merely a resource to assist one in whichever field they intend to work in, for that particular occupation/(s). The concern I have is when we spend years to obtain a qualification that we don't even know how we will use it, or even worse - obtain knowledge that may not be used at all! Obtaining a qualification is good for getting knowledge, a foundation, a background of the field of work and/ or area of expertise one intends to be in. I realized that through the B.com Accounting degree I obtained. However, it is not enough alone, and that's where the need for experience comes in. Experience I feel that experience is better than a qualification. Let me tell you why: A person with experience obtains knowledge, the actual knowledge required for th

22. Cooking

This is most probably the one topic you wouldn’t have expected from this blog, hey? Well, I didn’t think I’d find myself writing it either, but it is quite relevant. As much as some of us cook for ourselves at university, some still buy ready-made food from the dining halls. It may also be that some never had the opportunity or took the chance to cook while at home. Eventually, we'd have to get into the habit of cooking, especially because there will be a need to do so when we start living on our own. How I started cooking I was always cooked for – from the time I was a child right up until I started my first year at university. I confidently started my cooking journey at university and I loved it! I even went to the extent of making samp - umngqusho as we call it in the Xhosa language: do you have any idea how long that takes?! I didn’t care, as long as I was cooking. I suppose it was the excitement of starting something I did not do before. I did not like buying at the dining